C-47s over Ste Mere Eglise
Print Size: 32" x 22.5"

All prints are sold unframed

Into the Night
- The Americans Have Arrived -
a fine art print by
June 6, 1944, soon after 1:00 a.m. . . . Across Normandy charge the C-47s of IX Troop Carrier Command and their fighting cargo, the paratroopers of the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions. They have come to liberate the oppressed. Braving walls of clouds, German flak, and with just the moon to shine their path, the pilots toggle the green light over French fields and villages like Sainte-Mère-Église, a sign to the paratroopers—Go! With church bells ringing below and the prayers of the world behind them, the boys of the 101st and 82nd Divisions brush fear aside and jump into the night.
* screen colors may vary from print colors


Only 360 prints, signed and numbered by
artist Matt Hall & 6 D-Day veterans. Now issuing:

- Band of Brothers veterans Earl McClung & Clancy Lyall!
- 82nd vets Duke Boswell, Les Cruise, & Chet Harrington!
- D-Day C-47 pilot Fred Trenck!

- Color COA with "History Behind the Art" trivia

C-47 on D-Day

All prints are sold unframed

101st Airborne on D-Day

Only 500 prints, signed and numbered by
artist Matt Hall & 2 D-Day veterans. Now issuing:

- Band of Brothers veteran Earl McClung!
- D-Day C-47 pilot Fred Trenck

Color COA with "History Behind the Art" story

All prints are sold unframed

Contact us for re-sale availability

140 prints, signed and numbered by artist
Matt Hall & at least 16 veterans.

- A piece of a D-Day chute, recovered by historian
Paul Woodadge from a barn near Ravenoville, France!
- Signed Don Malarkey photo taken at Upottery Airfield
- 82nd & 101st pins to frame with your print!
Color COA

All prints are sold unframed

- A piece of a D-Day chute, recovered by historian
Paul Woodadge from a barn near Ravenoville, France!
- 82nd & 101st pins to frame with your print!
- Color COA

Contact us for re-sale availability

160 prints, signed and numbered by
artist Matt Hall & 12 veterans.

439th Troop Carrier Group C-47

All prints are sold unframed

A Signer Proof edition of 100 prints, bearing assorted signatures, exists for print signers and helpers.
44 signed canvas giclees will be made available in the future.
Tom Bellitto
438th Troop Carrier Group
Les Cruise
H-Co., 505th
Tony Fasano
Pilot, 316th TCG
E-Co., 506th
"Wild Bill" Guarnere
E-Co., 506th
Ed Bernat
E-Co., 506th

Buck Compton
E-Co., 506th

Don Jakeway
H-Co., 508th
Chet Harrington
A-Co., 505th

Bill Himrod
82nd ABN

Ben Kendig
Pilot, 316th TCG

Joe Lesniewski
E-Co., 506th

Clancy Lyall
E-Co., 506th
Jim "Pee Wee"

G-Co., 506th


326th Abn.
Medical Co.

Earl McClung
E-Co., 506th
Fred Trenck
Pilot, 441st TCG
Ray Skully
G-Co., 506th
Spencer Wurst
F-Co., 505th
Henry “Duke” Boswell enlisted in the NC Army National Guard at the age of 16. In June, 1942 he volunteered for the paratroopers and was assigned to G Company, 505th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division.

On July 10, 1943 Sergeant Boswell saw his first combat during the jump into Sicily. A few months later he would parachute into Salerno, Italy and help liberate Naples in October 1943. During the invasion of Normandy, Boswell parachuted into Ste. Mere Eglise (depicted in the film The Longest Day) which would become the first town liberated from the Germans.

Following combat in Normandy, Boswell would jump into Holland during Operation Market Garden and later fight in the Battle of the Bulge until January 1945. By the war’s end, of the original 146 men of G-Company, only 13 remained (including Boswell), who were not wounded or killed.

Boswell was discharged from the Army in 1945 but later reenlisted in 1946. After becoming an officer, he was assigned to the First Calvary Division in combat in Korea. There, he fought in the breakout from the Pusan Perimeter until he was severely wounded by mortar fire. After recovering from his injuries, Boswell would remain in the Army until his retirement as a Major.

Chet Harrington holds the honor of being among a small group of elite paratroopers to have made all four combat jumps with the 82nd Airborne in World War II!

A nurse practitioner at the outbreak of the war, Chet volunteered for the airborne troops since he “wanted to get into the action where I could do some good!” As part of A Company, 505th PIR, he was given his first chance during the infamous Sicily invasion. Soon after, he participated in the Salerno jump.

For D-Day, Chet recalls standing between the pilot and the co-pilot of his C-47, since they were overloaded with troopers whose plane was damaged from an explosive charge that went off prematurely. Scattered during the night jump, he landed in the Normandy countryside outside of Ste. Mere Eglise and immediately went to work with each “Medic!” cry that rang out.

During the morning of D-Day and ensuing days, Chet would save lives alongside German medics, receive shrapnel wounds to his legs that he would treat himself, and he would even witness the fanaticism of his enemy when one of his litter bearers was killed by a sniper who shot him through the red cross on his helmet.

Chet would go on to jump in Operation Market Garden and later serve in the Battle of the Bulge near St. Vith. There, he was wounded while carrying the last of ten injured paratroopers to safety, and was later evacuated to England, and then America for medical care. < READ MORE ABOUT CHET >

Clockwise: Chet at age 22. 82nd Airborne medics prepare for D-Day. Chet's original jump wings with his four jump stars. Chet today in his original jacket & cap.

Les joined the paratroops at Fort Benning in Nov. 1943. Following training, he was shipped to England where he joined H-Co. of the 505th PIR, 82nd Airborne on March 16, 1944. Surrounded by veterans of the Sicily and Italian campaigns, he jumped on D-Day and joined the fight for Ste. Mere Eglise and 35 days of hard fighting

Les jumped in Holland with the 82nd and after 16 days on the line during the Battle of the Bulge, he was seriously wounded when attacking German positions in the heavy snow near Fosse, Belgium. His fighting days over, Les was transferred to hospitals in France, England, and the US.

Top: 505th troopers with captured Germans on D-Day. Right: 505th veteran Les Cruise. Left: A knocked out German tank somewhere in Normandy.

8. "Wild Bill" Guarnere falls into the chaos over Normandy. He recalled this moment in his memoir: "We started getting a lot of flack, the anti-aircraft fire was horrendous . . . we were too low . . . we just wanted out. We got the order to jump even though the plane was moving too fast . . . after I jumped my leg bag fell off, and my leg woke up real fast."

9. Approximately 70% of the parachutes used on D-Day were cammo chutes, the others were white. To this day, Norman farmers still discover chutes buried or hidden on their properties.

10. According to Paul Woodadge, “There was cloud cover and, indeed, fog over much of the Cotentin Peninsula on D-Day night. Because of the fire in Ste. Mere Eglise, the heat had burned off the fog there. Residents describe a pale moonlight over the square that night.”

11. There were at least two 20mm Flak 38 guns within Ste. Mere Eglise, manned by Austrians. C-47 Pilot Ben Kendig remembered the German tracers would weave "as if spouted from a hose." Pvt. Forrest Guth recalled their sound, "you could see them (AA tracers) hitting the planes and you could hear when they hit with a 'pling'."

12. This 91st Squadron C-47, flown by Lt. William Sammons, carries Lt. Dick Winters and his paratroopers of stick #67. Sammons remembered the drop: "I pulled the left engine back all the way to where it was at full idle so that they (paratroopers) wouldn't get a hell of a prop blast when the stick jumped. We were at 400 feet."

13. The "Holy Mother Church" sits at the center of Ste. Mere Eglise. Approximately 45 minutes after the moment depicted in "Into the Night," paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne's 505th Regiment will parachute into the town. One of those troopers, Pvt. John Steele, will be snagged on the church's spire and hang for two hours playing dead, before being captured. To this day, a dummy hangs on the church in tribute.

14. “As I lay in a field at the edge of Ste. Mere-Eglise, I could hear the church bell tolling in the night, summoning local citizens to fight a fire that had broken out on the edge of town.” -Dick Winters, E-Co, 506th PIR, 101st ABN

1. This mortally wounded C-47 is flown by Lt. Harold Capelluto and contains E-Company's HQ Section and commander, Lt. Meehan. Pilot Frank Deflita, flying near Capelluto, remembered: "...Harold's plane got hit several times...the plane left the formation and slowly initiated a right turn. I followed it with my eyes and noticed its landing lights coming on. I thought it was going to be all right. Then, suddenly, it came crashing down into a hedgerow and instantly exploded."

2. Pilot Ben Kendig remembers the parapacks found beneath their C-47s: "All of our squadron's planes carried parapacks. There were six racks under each of our planes and all were loaded. Once the paratroopers hit the ground they would need all the supplies that they could get."

3. D-Day historian Paul Woodadge explains: "There were some mobile Luftwaffe searchlight units in Normandy but, with the C-47s flying so low they were impossible to keep lit. It's likely that once the fireworks started, any searchlight crews probably gave up and switched to supplying ammo for the gun crews."

4. This C-47, from the 91st Squadron of the 439th Troop Carrier Group, is flown by Lt. Don LePard and hauls stick #70 of E-Company, commanded by Lt. Buck Compton, and containing troopers Don Malarkey, "Wild Bill" Guarnere, Brad Freeman, Ed Bernat, Joe Lesniewski, and others of the 2nd platoon.

5. This building served as the Hospice for Ste. Mere Eglise and became a field hospital from June 6th onward. A famous series of photos of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. were taken in front of this building when he arrived in his Jeep "Rough Rider" from Utah beach on June 8th.

6. 2nd platoon paratroopers Joe Lesniewski and Ed Bernat prepare to exit their C-47. 65+ years later these two paratroopers live just down the hall from one another in the same retirement community!

7. For the D-Day jump, British made "leg bags" were introduced to the American paratroopers for the first time. "Wild Bill" Guarnere remembers his: "We were told to stand up and hook up. I stood up and fell right back down on my ass. My leg bag was loaded and weighted a ton, it sat on my legs for hours, and they fell asleep."

Artist Matt Hall

Now acknowledged as the rising talent in military art, Matt Hall worked for years under master visionary, Steven Spielberg, at Spielberg’s DreamWorks company! These days, however, Matt no longer paints to serve the icons of Hollywood—he paints to pay tribute to America’s military heroes.

Matt’s artistic training began as a boy in Missouri, when he met an old-time western artist named Bob Tommy, who just moved from Texas. Tommy encouraged Matt to try his hand at painting. When Tommy saw Matt’s “natural talent,” he became Matt’s mentor and taught him the technique he had amassed in his lifetime of work.

In college, Matt studied painting. After graduation, he broadened his skills, painting everything from greeting cards to animation backgrounds. His career changed forever when Spielberg’s DreamWorks company found and hired him. Matt brought and his new bride, Michele, a Texas small-town girl, with him to Hollywood.

At DreamWorks, Matt rose through the ranks, painting concept art. When Steven Spielberg had an idea brewing about the Battle for Iwo Jima,

Matt Hall was requested to do a painting for President George W. Bush, showing the F-102s of the Texas ANG. Photo courtesy of the White House.

Matt painted an “epic concept” for him that Spielberg used to pitch the film, Flags of Our Fathers. Soon, Matt was named Franchise Art Director for DreamWorks’ Medal of Honor video games series, one credited with generating interest in WWII history among young people.

Matt grew as an artist through Spielberg’s critiques. “I learned from Steven Spielberg the value of listening to my ‘creative instincts’” Matt explained. “A lot of times, marketing dictates if an idea will be well-received, but Spielberg would often fly against the grain, if he believed in an idea. There was a time when the marketing guys said ‘WWII is done and dead,” but Spielberg followed his instincts and passion and made Saving Private Ryan!”

There, Matt discovered that he, too, possessed a passion to tell the stories of America’s war heroes when DreamWorks had him create paintings for the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. Working from just a citation and a portrait of a long-deceased MOH recipient, Matt brought their stories back to life. There, he discovered his calling.

Then, in summer 2008, Matt underwent brain surgery to remove a growth behind his eye. “It was a wake-up call,” Matt explained. “It got me thinking, ‘What kind of legacy will my art leave? Will it tell a story of something important? Will it be something people will appreciate 50 or 100 years from now? It was tough to look in mirror and say ‘maybe not’ since the art I was doing would be locked away in a vault once it served its purpose.”

After Matt’s surgery, Valor Studios, a prominent publisher of military art came to Matt with an offer to publish him. Valor Studios had seen Matt’s work for DreamWorks and asked if he wanted to paint full time to honor the heroes of military past and present? Matt heartily agreed. “It was an epiphany on a lot of levels,“ he explained, “Spiritually, artistically, and career-wise. Like that leap of faith when I went to paint for Hollywood, I’ve now decided to follow my passion and paint the stories of men and women whose legacies need to be preserved.”
Matt as he signs "In the Company of Heroes" prints.
Valor Studios and Matt Hall wish to thank the following for their assistance with this project:
Doug Barber, Eric Carlson and the Keystone Armory, Mark Easton, James Fenelon, Rich Riley, Tom Thomas,
D-Day Historian Paul Woodadge, and the distinguished veterans who made this print possible.